This one-day course presents intermediate and advanced level material on the use of gongs for healing, meditation, and exploration of consciousness. While several different types of gongs are examined, the course will focus on the large Paiste gong.
- Overview of gong types
- Effects of the gong on the body and mind
- The physical energy dynamics of a vibrating gong
- The sonic properties and dynamics of a vibrating gong
- Understanding the tonal regions of the gong
- Choosing the proper mallets
- Specific mallet techniques and exercises
- Building chords by “layering” tones
- Working with spin and swing
- Staging a gong bath session
- Gong improvisation
Students will be given specific techniques and exercises that they can practice on their own. Students are also encouraged to bring their own instruments (please inquire first), or may use instruments provided by the Academy.
Prerequisite: Fundamentals of Sound Healing and Sound Metaphysics or equivalent background.